The pictures tell the story.
Bean left the house without shoes, my most treasured book of revision notes was attacked by falling burning beam, a lot of "stuff" was destroyed and perhaps most horribly our cat, Tats*, got trapped inside. He did make it out as the firemen finally made it into the house. He was safe on the windowsill in my brother's room. However I'm not sure he was ever the same. He never settled in the rental house. I think he missed his garden and his chair. He passed away a few months later. We all miss you old boy. You were a good cat.
*Still a pseudonym
House fires are a horrible (and potential lethal) thing. Please check your smoke or fire alarm for me. If you happen to live in London the London Fire Brigade may offer you a home visit to help you if you are confused about your home safety. I'm sure other units across the country and beyond can do the same.
Thank you to fireman of south London. 4 separate fire stations were involved. Thank you for saving my cat.