Thursday, 27 January 2011

so to the snow

Two months on from our snowpocalypse I guess it's time I introduced you to the snow.

The snow, the snow, the snow. Oh the snow.

I cannot emphasise this enough, the snow.*

"Ne'er in seventeen years have we had snow so early, oh young lady, this is a joyous sign, blessed be your marriage and may your life be full of happiness"
said the toothless, blind, deeply furrowed soothsayer to me as I walked towards our wedding venue laden with stuff.**

Or in reality anyone I met in the week before the wedding. (the snow part anyway)

So back to the snow?

Shall I let the picture do the talking? Remember Bean is 6' 2" and it only got deeper the further me walked. (Totally worth it for the photographs)


Bean, the lovely Emma Case, Me and a lovely brave Descartes
Taken by my NYC Goddess!

So the snow brought sadness but also happiness too. Most of our family and friends were shattered from clambering through the snow laden with stuff or spending what seemed like hours moving cars. Yet from these moments I will carry the most heartfelt memories of our weekend. (Yes, I think I may be turning into one of those positive people.)

  • The memory of trying to push my parents' snow bound car whilst lying horizontally in the air with my feet "firmly" planted on a country wall and then a falling faceplant. (I thought I had dislocated my shoulder - ever the dramatic)
  • Trying to move Grumpole's super heavy car when laden with much beer, then said car flailing much to the amusement of the assembling cows.
  • "Running" around with my nephews with the snow engulfing their little snow suited bodies.
  • Squealing with joy at the appearance of family and friends finally making it to the venue despite looking completely exhausted from their epic journeys.
These are the memories I need to remember and not the tiredness and disappointment. (Remind me when I am grumping, please!)

These moments are very anna and Bean. I could pretend we are hipsters but I'm pretty sure you know we are not! We are all about the giggles and certainly not afraid to make fools of ourselves. Yet the tiredness that ensued led to lack of attention to detail, chaos and generally people thinking they knew what I wanted. (I shall never know why people moved my boxes so I didn't know where anything was....grrr!)

A wedding that is nearly all DIY means that nearly all the stuff for the wedding needed to be packed, unpacked and moved. I really did not think about that when I signed on for a DIY wedding! If I'm honest it barely crossed my mind. I had thought about it, but not in the detail that I needed to. I assumed that things would just happen. What a fool I am. I knew that it would be hard on the Friday night but I sort of just, well forgot. I also sort of forgot that I would be somewhat uncontactable on the Saturday morning. Although I was so happy that I was nested in a little cocoon of joy and love. (The cocoon that looked after me despite knowing so many people were stranded by the snow.)

I guess one of the problems is that I held most of the wedding in my head. I wanted it to be a surprise for everyone involved. One of my biggest mistakes. I know, I know. I knew what I needed to do. I just forgot that I could not do it all on my own.

DIY brides of tomorrow please want to do everything (it's exciting and somewhat empowering) but realise that you will need help. At some point you are going to have to let go and let people help you. Learn from my mistakes.


Indeed I definitely blanked out the concept of having to clear everything else up on the Sunday. That was just, well depressing. Having to throw away your lovingly made decorations and taking down the sweet little touches that your spent hours agonising over is horrible. I now understand why people leave for honeymoon under a blaze of sparklers. The bleakness, I succumbed. It engulfed me. I watched my loved ones leave me to go back to their exciting lives and I was left with seemingly nothing. Such a cruel way to end a wedding. For one who does not life to be the centre of attention I did not want to hugs and love to end. It came as quite the shock. I made Bean feel terrible, like he was not enough for me. Then his hugs came and my tears flowed. He showed me why I could love no-one else the way I love him. He made me realise why we brought everyone together and then triumphed despite, well despite, everything.

So the snow caused problems (more trouble that you can shake a stick at really) but then I remember, the moments. The moments that gave me pictures like this. I may not feel like I look amazing but the moment was amazing. The moment I felt like the Bean and I were the only people in the world. A beautiful delicious intimate moment that I will cherish forever.***



*Yes darling I do even try to get our little in jokes into my posts
**Yes, stuff, I can only try and explain how much stuff we had for the wedding. Stuff is the only word.
***Yes to feeling wonderful and soppy. 

13 comments:

  1. Oh Anna, I'm so sorry for you about all the problems the beautiful snow caused (although it did make for some beautiful photos!) I'm am glad though that as time goes on you are starting to recognise the good parts over the bad. I think as time goes on and the distance between you and the wedding gets bigger you will start to remember more good, and the bad will fade.
    Also, as a reader, after a year and a bit of 'knowing' you it is wonderful to not hear about the wedding as an oblique obscure reference (I completely understand your reasons for not bbeing completely open about it all before-it is, after all, YOUR wedding!!) but start to really hear about it openly is great!! I loves it, keep it coming!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, I completely understand that Sunday feeling! We were lucky in that the venue un-decorated for us but we still had to go and get it all and try and shoe-horn it into the car (2 car loads as we'd arrived separately. Didn't think of that). You go from centre-of-attention-glam-person to just plain old normal person who has to pack boxes into the car. It's too soon, isn't it! Anyway your wedding looked beautiful, the snow must have been a pain but it made for some kick-arse photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with asking for help and accepting help. I still don't know where some of the STUFF from our wedding is. I threw away 25 crumpled lanterns I spent ages on. In the end all of that stuff didn't really matter. The happiness of the day are the memories I will keep forever.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Anna, I am not looking forward to the sunday feeling at all. But hugs seem to be a good cure xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna - as someone getting married in summer in a country that rarely if ever gets any snow at all, I am in awe. Such beauty and such effort.

    Also, thankyou for the DIYers mantra. I will remember that magenta writing on many a late night cutting out cardboard hearts or some such nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your wedding story and it is comforting to know that all brides must experience that gunk of coming back to reality after being so floaty for a day. I didnt have stuff to take down as we got married in new york but certainly walking around Times Square the day after in jeans just like all the other tourists was a reality check after feeling like Carrie Bradshaw parading round Manhattan on our wedding day! Btw your snow photos are ace despite the hassle it may have caused you at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Faceplants and pictures like that last one in the snow - that is the stuff of weddings. You, Bean, and the kitties - that is the stuff of beautiful, wedded life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the beautiful snow. It is both a pretty thing and a huge hazard. I'm not exactly positive, but it sounds like it may have prevented some guests from attending.

    I'm glad you have some lovely memories of it though. You and Bean in the snow look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. GAH, those photos are stunning...the snow is beautiful and i'm so glad it gave you so many memories...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning photos. I'm so sorry you had so much stress to deal with.

    I'm glad you're taking the time to remember the good parts :)

    This could very well be me next January!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That last photo is just so amazingly amazing. Look at your faces and body language, they say it all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wanted to read your blog but the color of the type is so pale I just couldn't deal with the frustration. Black is the easiest to read. Why not make it easy?

    Sorry , but thought you might like to know..I can't possibly be the only one who gets a headache lookingat pale faced font

    ReplyDelete
  13. @anon Sorry anon I had no idea it was so pale. It comes up quite dark and I find it quite easy to read on my screen. I shall see what I can do. (Feel free to email me at annaandtheringlondon {at} gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

So, I really love all the sweet and/or informative comments that you lovelies leave. Yet if you feel the need to be unnecessarily rude or offensive I will delete your comment and not feel bad about it. So just be constructive alright! Hugs to all you wondrous others.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin