Thursday, 11 February 2010

wed-a-porter?

It's no secret I adore the wonderness that is Net-a-Porter.  I adore their style, their service and their sales!  

Yet it was with trepidation I accepted an invitation to a preview of their soon to be relaunched wedding boutique. I was blown away by their previous collection.  The shoes, that Westwood dress and elegantly chic finishing touches.  Oh it was heaven. 

Oh gosh, my heart fluttered.  What should I wear to meet such a monolith? (I mean that in a very complimentary sense!)  All black, anna, of course.  Well with pink shoes and a pretty ring!

So one very lucky girl walked briskly to Claridges with a stomach of butterflies.  These soon melted upon being guided to the French Salon by a very sweet doorman and a rather bubbly glass was proffered into my eager hand!

So after the sip, I relaxed and surveyed the room.  A beautiful display of accessories and dresses greeted my eyes.  Well once I had managed avert my eyes from the hummingbird cupcakes.

The dresses which will be offered are simply breathtaking.  Only stylish ladies need apply.  From Lanvin to Marc Jacobs.  Some beauties are straight from the catwalk and as in times of old the piece de resistance of the designer's collection.  I  don't really want to spoil your first visit to the site on 16th February by posting pictures.  Well also the iPhone photographs I took are pretty hideous.  So you will just have to wait and put up with my little descriptions.

For me the highlight was a delightfully pale grey dress by the genius Lanvin.  So light and flowing.  The grey is so on trend but then can be worn until it falls apart and then worn by your granddaughter (or grandson).  It made me swoon with it's delicate v-neck and sweet little touches.  Also there will be some very fashion forward pieces which would be perfect for a city wedding or maybe those who might enjoy a two or even three dress day?

There were also, touchingly, beautiful pieces from the collection of Alexander McQueen.  How I adore his beautiful skull clutches.  Further accessories which caught my eye were a couple of fantabulously over the top cocktail rings, I would have tried to buy one there and then if it had been a slightly different colour.  Obviously, shoes rained down from Choo to Cavalli and onto Louboutin with varying heights to allow for late night dancing.  They will also be offering other bridalwares from veils and tiaras to couture millinery from Philip Treacy (perfection for my mother who cannot cope with uber high heels but will want to be seen).

Personally, I think Net-a-Porter have hit upon a grand concept with this boutique.  Indeed they even proposed a serving suggestion.  They allow for longer returns and consequently one could order a couple of dresses, maybe a few dresses for your girls and much champagne for a wonderful evening.  So much more fun and satisfying than traipsing to overcrowded, understaffed bridal boutiques.  Such a tempting proposition and maybe a sweet way of introducing ones captivating circle of celebratory comrades to one another?

The only slight disappointment was the lack of fabulous dresses for mothers and comrades but I was consoled by the bon homie!  I for one cannot wait until the 16th! 

P.S. I forgot to tell you about one of the most exciting moments of the evening.  I finally met the lovely ladies from Rock My Wedding.  What lovely ladies they be!

13 comments:

  1. eeek! so jealous, i'll be glued to my screen on the 16th. mmm hummingbird cupcakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Net-a-Porter really has set the bar in the world of online luxury. love that they are doing the Bridal boutique...i remember that fabulous Vivienne Westwood gown they did 2 years ago!
    xox alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you get such a coveted invite? I've been so excited about Net-a-Porter's new boutique since I read about it in WWD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh how fabulous! can't wait to see it!!! and :( about the Alexander McQueen pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds exciting, cant wait to see the new site!

    Must have been great to meet the RMW ladies too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm gutted, I was invited, but travelling from Scotland etc. meant that I had to turn them down. We could have met and the RMW ladies. Now I'm sad but I'm glad you had a wonderful time, how glam all black with pink shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A little birdy said it was your birthday?? Is that true? If it is I hope you have an awesome day x

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is a dream come true! so amazing!

    ReplyDelete

So, I really love all the sweet and/or informative comments that you lovelies leave. Yet if you feel the need to be unnecessarily rude or offensive I will delete your comment and not feel bad about it. So just be constructive alright! Hugs to all you wondrous others.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin