Tuesday, 4 August 2009

oh net a porter

Oh net-a-porter, net-a-porter, net-a-porter.

How often do I bow at your feet?

You are the home for some of the most beautiful items of clothing I could ever hope to own. (I know in my heart of hearts that couture will never be mine.)

You have the cutest delivery men who greet you at the door with fantabulous packaging and a smile.

However I fear this is one step too far. I want to knit, I wish I had learnt at my Great Aunt's knee for she was truly a couturier with her knitting needles.

Yet I am not an idiot net-a-porter. £120 for a pair of needles and some wool? Oh yes the packaging is sublime, the needles perhaps whittled from antique ivory and I am sure the wool is of the highest quality, maybe from the nasal hair of a virgin mountain goat, yet £120 for the privilege of knitting my own scarf? No.


So could any of you lovely crafty ladies help teach me the joy of knitting?

5 comments:

  1. Oh my, I love knitting! I don't think I'd be very good at teaching it though, I'm not particularly skilled in it myself, alas. I hope you find some way to learn and then you can make all kinds of wonderful thoughtful Christmas presents :)

    ps I find charity shops are the best places for knitting needles and sometimes even wool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish i could help. i learned briefly but i haven't picked up a set of needles [actually they were chopsticks - yeah, completely random i know] in years. and the only thing i can make is a scarf. made one for the boy...took me 6 months off and on to finish it.

    i don't have the best of attention spans. lol.

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knitted once, but it turned into a mess once I lost count! My very, very patient friend taught me...and I promptly forgot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Oh yes the packaging is sublime, the needles perhaps whittled from antique ivory and I am sure the wool is of the highest quality, maybe from the nasal hair of a virgin mountain goat, yet £120 for the privilege of knitting my own scarf?"

    Um, I don't know how to knit, but I might knit if I had yarn from the nasal hair of a virgin mountain goat.

    Best. Quote. Of. The. Day. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could help, but I tried learning once and it was an epic failure. But I can point you to some great links & tips if you want to take up crochet instead :)

    ReplyDelete

So, I really love all the sweet and/or informative comments that you lovelies leave. Yet if you feel the need to be unnecessarily rude or offensive I will delete your comment and not feel bad about it. So just be constructive alright! Hugs to all you wondrous others.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin