Tuesday, 12 May 2009

my intended and me

The Boy and I formally met over a game of spin the bottle as wide eyed Freshers almost 9 years ago. We kissed and as you say the rest is history. We just seemed to click. Corny, I know, but it has always seemed so right between us. We’ve had our downs but our ups have more than made up for times when we were apart. Indeed we have spent up to 6 months apart (and almost 4 months of that with me literally on the other side of the world working in a hospital on a tiny island in the Pacific with seriously erratic internet connections!)

We both had entirely different paths planned at different universities and I was originally due to take a gap year. However happily we both ended up at the same university at the same time and because of this I do believe – however foolishly - in fate. I rationalise this by thinking it would be impossible for two people so perfect for one another to converge in the same halls of residence in London despite studying entirely different subjects. Believe me at my alma mater the medics and the computing geeks were somewhat immiscible.


I bought this photograph from Polly Jarman last year. It was taken from just behind our halls of residence in which we lived. I'm pretty sure it used to say, "I love you" which makes its current incarnation rather poignant. However I look at this on our wall and think how I loved our time together when we were wee freshers.

And on to my lovely Boy. He is a lawyer – most of what he actually does is lost on me but he loves his work. He is the youngest of his fabulous Northern Clan. I love his family and have spent many a happy holiday with them all. I love that they mock me like I were their brother. I also love how the Boy is loved by my family with them all mocking him as their own!

The boy is a lawyer – most of what he actually does is lost on me but he loves his work. He is the youngest of his fabulous Northern Clan. I love his family and have spent many a happy holiday with them all. I love that they mock me like I were their brother. I also love how the boy is loved by my family with them all mocking him as their own!

But how does one describe the love of your life for the past 8 years? Perhaps through the words of Patrick from Coupling* (series 4 episode 3) he is “a hairy, inquisitive sex octopus with concealment crevices.” Think of that what you will but no statement could embody him more accurately! How else to describe him? Perhaps through his loves which I think are (in this order) hugs, kittens, his Xbox sorry spreadsheets and random general knowledge. Truly, he is the guy you want on a quiz team. Above all, his is perfect. I’m so glad I found him before any other girl nabbed him!

As for me, I’m a junior doctor (so forgive my tardy replies and potentially long gaps between posts), hoping to pursue a very geeky speciality, if the evil and unscrupulous world of doctor training will allow. I love pink (but only very specific shades – the darker the better), kittens and architectural antiques. I often day dream of another life where I am a writer for 30 rock* but medicine is what truly enthrals me. My favourite question really is “why?” and although this is an involuntary reaction to anything new I have at least learnt to internalise this thought to the relief of my seniors. Hopefully through the medium of blog I’ll be able to tell you more about my life and passions.

Until then, I think the following little nugget represents us quite accurately.

As for today I shall bid you farewell, Anna x

*two shows I would thoroughly recommend.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, no. I went past the house yesterday. I think the words are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote! I think it sums up relationships perfectly :)

    (also YES to Coupling! I watched it religiously when it was on tv, and was a teensy bit devastated when it went. Must buy on dvd..)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your story and how you met over spin the bottle! So romantic.
    My boy is going to be a doctor too. I'm very impressed that you keep up this blog at the same time and treat patients! You must be like super woman.
    Excited to see more of your plans! Nice to 'meet' you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh no, I think UK docs are a bit slack in comparison to those in the US!

    ReplyDelete

So, I really love all the sweet and/or informative comments that you lovelies leave. Yet if you feel the need to be unnecessarily rude or offensive I will delete your comment and not feel bad about it. So just be constructive alright! Hugs to all you wondrous others.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin